Royal Yorkshire Yacht Club

The East Coast cannot be said to have held its own in the modern development of yachting, but three at least of its clubs were among the earliest organizations started in connection with the sport. The Royal Yorkshire Yacht Club was one of these, and was the third club, in point of seniority, formed on the East Coast. It was founded in 1847, at a meeting held in the April of that year at the residence of Messrs. Marwood at Whitby. Its original title was ‘The Yorkshire Yacht Club’, and the Earl of Mulgrave was the first Commodore. On June 18 of the same year the Admiralty warrant was granted, while H.M. Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort had already accorded the club their patronage.

It was at first contemplated having two divisions, but that idea was dropped, and the headquarters are situated at Hull. In its first year it had twenty-eight yachts on its list, with a membership of 165, which was regarded as an excellent beginning. Several regattas were held, and some well-known craft competed thereat, but gradually, with the growth of clubs in the South, the sport deserted the East Coast, and it is many years now since any of the regular racing fleet went further north on the East Coast than Harwich.

It is to be regretted that in yachting the development of the sport in a new district so often ruins fixtures that have become hallowed by time, but it is unavoidable; the season is not long enough for owners even to contemplate taking in all the regattas which clubs would willingly arrange.