Was born in 1851, and succeeded the late Duke in 1892. He has been a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron since 1878, when as Marquis of Stafford he owned the yawl Menai. This was succeeded by the Harelda in 1879, and in 1892 by the Blue Bell, 174-ton schooner, which once was very famous as a racer. After succeeding to the dukedom he became owner of the s.y. Catania, 668 tons, designed by Mr. G. L. Watson, and built by D. and W. Henderson, of Glasgow, in 1895. In 1901 he owned the 68-ton cutter Susan, followed by the Kriemhilda, 106-ton cutter, so famous in the early days of yachting. In addition to being owner of the Catania, the Duke of Sutherland is part-owner with Mr. Eric Chaplin of the schooner Lisette, 116 tons, which was designed and built by Hansen in 1873. The Duke and Duchess of Sutherland are devoted to cruising both in home and foreign waters.
Club: Royal Yacht Squadron.
Residences: Stafford House, St. James’s, and Dunrobin Castle, Sutherland.
Vessels: Menai; Harelda; Blue Bell; Catania; Susan; Kriemhilda; Saxford; More Vane; Grianaig