Scotland Yacht Club, Commodore of the Holy Loch Sailing Club, and a member of the Yacht Racing Association. He is a keen and practical yachtsman, and has been successful as a racing owner.
His first boat was Ulidia, 10 tons, built in 1883 by William Fife and Son, Fairlie. She was designed by William Fife, junior, and had a l.w.l. 41.8 feet, and beam 7.2 feet. In 1900 he bought Zitella, designed by Mylne for the Clyde 19-foot class. In 1901 William Fife and Son designed and built Ulidia II also for the Clyde 19-foot class, and she was raced for three years. In 1904 William Fife and Son designed and built Mikado – Clyde Restricted 30 L.R. – for Sir William.
Clubs: Royal Northern, Royal Clyde, Royal Western of Scotland, Holy Loch Sailing, Clyde Corinthian, Royal Largs, Gourock, and Royal Ulster.
Residence: 33, Cromwell Road, S.W.
Vessels: Ulidia; Zitella; Ulidia II; Mikado